Thursday, January 1, 2015

Something Old


"There will be always something old in the New Year!"
(Mehmet Murat ildan)

This day is always thought of as a clean slate, a new beginning, but I do like the idea that there is old in it as well:  the growing that went into the flowers, the rich history in the glass of the vase, the wood of the table, the love that brought the flowers to me from the lovingly tended garden, the memories I have of other flowers, other gardens, other years, beginning.

As for weddings, I'd like to carry on this first day of the year something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.  An old favorite Mozart song, perhaps: Laudate Dominum. A bouncy dog I've never seen before, joyful in Central Park. The borrowed quote above, from a Turkish playwright, which has set me thinking. The blue I stole from The Gauguin painting yesterday afternoon.

A little bag packed for my journey into this unexplored territory ahead.


image: Christie B. Cochrell, Flowers

2 comments:

  1. this post. the picture . . . the words . . .
    it just makes me feel happy.
    and a little excited. like my bag is packed too!
    only i'm not going anywhere. but that's ok.
    i'll follow you.
    happy new year christie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O welcome, fellow traveler! So glad to have the company. Happiest new year to you, too.

    ReplyDelete