Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Spicing It Up



Happy birthday, Christopher Wren, architect of cathedrals and observatories.

I’m wearing white and beige today, without any dash of turquoise or other vibrant color, and feel unbearably drab.

It’s the time of year that demands sensual extravagance, intensity of stimuli on every hand—like the Scarlet Ibis, above (no, it's not a wren!), which I would like to see perched grandly on the thin wall of my cubicle.

Instead, I have primrose and lavender shampoo, strong mocha java in my Cretan cup, spicy green chili in a breakfast burrito, a silver bangle cold on my wrist, a little Oregon blackberry jam, Rossini overtures.

For tomorrow I’m planning a menu of
Bruschetta with Fontina and Greens
Cauliflower Crostini with Fennel Seed
Slow-roasted Cherry Tomato Bruschetta
Wild Mushroom Bruschetta with Thyme
Shrimp Bruschetta with Limoncello
Bruschetta with Ricotta and Orange Marmalade
Chocolate Bruschetta with Sea Salt and Orange Rind


image:  Scarlet Ibis Eudocimus ruber at the Cotswold Wildlife Park, Oxfordshire, England, photographed by Adrian Pingstone

No comments:

Post a Comment