Wednesday, September 25, 2013

When the Words Fail Me



What do I do when the words fail me?

When my father died, I took up photography, bought myself a good Pentax with zoom and close-up lenses, learned to just be quiet and look.

When my spirit was being abused at work, I volunteered to be the dresser for a play, and learned the language of the heart from several wonderful women of color.  Without saying a thing, I immersed myself (an adult being baptised) in their words, their world.

Other times I’ve turned to collage (which has been calling me again); have walked and walked in springtime hills; have lost my way so completely in the heart of an opera that I nearly didn’t come out.  I’ve learned to paint Zen brush circles; have wordlessly spent a summer pruning potato vine, and another finding Morris dancers in my neighborhood park; have reshaped letters—only their outward form.  I’ve sought the past in Swiss mud, British mud, and traced the inscriptions on Roman milestones.

Today, I’m cooking wild rice, chanelling the autumn:  no serious cure, for a momentary loss.




image:  Christie B. Cochrell, Letter Sculptures in Treviso, Italy


No comments:

Post a Comment