Saturday, March 31, 2012

Existential Gratitude



In this time of blossoms, especially, I am inclined to be grateful for being here, being alive, being among the company of poets and the poetically-minded who share the appreciation and the wonder.

“There’s a very deep strain of existential gratitude that runs through a lot of poetry. It’s certainly in haiku. Almost every haiku says the same thing: it’s amazing to be alive here. There’s a little haiku: ‘A cherry tree in blossom / In the distance / I hear a dog barking.’ Those two things have nothing to do with each other, except the fact that the poet was there to see and hear them. So the haiku is saying, I was here. 'Kilroy was here.' To appreciate the wonder of that, you have to imagine the absence of that, of not being there, of nonexistence, right? I consider poets to be a part of a larger group of people who don’t have to survive major surgery or go through a windshield in order to feel grateful for being alive. It shouldn’t require such traumatic experiences to feel grateful. So I think a love of language and a sense of gratitude would be two ingredients in the recipe for making a poet.” 
—Billy Collins, interviewed by George Plimpton in The Paris Review, Fall 2001




image:  Vincent Van Gogh, Blossoming Almond Tree

3 comments:

  1. I see you also have a keen interest in haikus, Christie!
    I also love haikus, although lately I haven't been able to make a decent one.
    I admire those who are able, today, in a world laden with useless technological, practical and emotional complexity, to still make haikus. I mean real haikus, the ones that deliver in the greatest simplicity the meaning of life.

    Let me share these two pop haikus by Jack Kerouac:

    "Missed a kick
    at the icebox door;
    it closed anyway"

    "Rocks on the side of the cliff.
    Why don't they tumble down?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Jay—thanks for those fun haikus!

      I think it's the hardest thing in the world to make a real haiku, as you say. So since I came to that realization, I've been having fun writing what I acknowledge are pale imitations. You can see my collection on my other blog, Green Scooter, here: http://ourgreenscooter.blogspot.com/search/label/Inklings
      My thoughts on these "Inklings" are at the bottom; my post of July 22, 2011.
      If you want to post haiku or other writings on Green Scooter, just let me know. It was intended to be a co-op writing blog, but I can't seem to get other writers to post!

      Delete