Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Smile for the Day


I am completely charmed by this homely poem of Pablo Neruda's—

Ode to My Socks

Mara Mori brought me
a pair of socks
which she knitted herself
with her sheepherder's hands,
two socks as soft as rabbits.
I slipped my feet into them
as if they were two cases
knitted with threads of twilight and goatskin,
Violent socks,
my feet were two fish made of wool,
two long sharks
sea blue, shot through
by one golden thread,
two immense blackbirds,
two cannons,
my feet were honored in this way
by these heavenly socks.
They were so handsome for the first time
my feet seemed to me unacceptable
like two decrepit firemen,
firemen unworthy of that woven fire,
of those glowing socks.

Nevertheless, I resisted the sharp temptation

to save them somewhere as schoolboys
keep fireflies,
as learned men collect
sacred texts,
I resisted the mad impulse to put them
in a golden cage and each day give them
birdseed and pieces of pink melon.
Like explorers in the jungle
who hand over the very rare green deer
to the spit and eat it with remorse,
I stretched out my feet and pulled on
the magnificent socks and then my shoes.

The moral of my ode is this:

beauty is twice beauty
and what is good is doubly good
when it is a matter of two socks
made of wool in winter.

—Pablo Neruda, translated by Robert Bly
  


image: drei Strümpfe auf der Leine, Anah from New York

2 comments:

  1. I also love Neruda's Elemental Odes! The one I remember, almost all by heart, is his Ode to the Onion :)
    I also like the picture you posted.
    Unlike Neruda, I didn't resist the temptation. I keep my three pairs of woolen socks, knitted for me by a friend's mother before I left for America, in one of the drawers in my bedroom. One sock has inside a pebble from the creek crossing my village. Another has my mana beads inside. I only wear them on special occasions: I must be home, there must be a cup of tea on the table, I must be alone, my Himalaya lamp must be on, it must be dark outside, and I must feel lonely and nostalgic.

    Thanks for sharing this poem, Christie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank YOU for sharing your lovely prose poem in response. It's made my day.

      And I must check the Ode to the Onion. Such riches!

      Delete