Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sacred Idleness



Another weekend gone, even though longer than most.

I do like the quote which I found yesterday, "Work is not always required. There is such a thing as Sacred Idleness, the cultivation of which is now fearfully neglected."
—George MacDonald

We ate lamb and trout on the sidewalk outside the Turkish café, and remembered Crete; and had a nice, long, lazy day off, cultivating that Sacred Idleness.

And I was pleased, and touched, that my hundredth friend on Facebook, timed so appropriately, was my best friend in first grade, who I’d lost contact with over the years.  On Memorial Day, remembrances of things long past unite with those more recent, even fleeting.  Life is strange and rich in its workings.  My mother would have been pleased about my reconnecting with my childhood friend as well; and I missed (and miss) my parents so much, not just on days of celebrating what is past.




image:  August Macke, Turkish Café

No comments:

Post a Comment