Sunday, January 10, 2010

Leaf-Shadow



I have leaf-shadow on my wall and ceiling now, cast by the paper lamp, the white Japanese lantern, and the spindly ficus next to it in its neat basket. Fog outside makes the world indistinct. And inside there’s this shadow-play, the slender fish-shapes on the white paint, like ghost koi rising in a clouded pond, or cut-outs in paper, those snowflakes we used to make as children with a few snips of the scissors.

I’m happy inside, reading, but still thinking of Half Moon Bay. The card shop, the market that sells artichoke bread, peas in the pod, jars of jerk spices, local mustards and salsas and jams, pumpkin butter. I'd love to go and eat fish, photograph the fishing boats, the one that especially charms me, “For Tuna.” Not a good day for a drive, with the fog, but maybe sometime soon we can drive to the ocean, and tonight, for supper, cook some Mykonos Sole.


image: Water drops, Staffan Enbom from Finland

No comments:

Post a Comment