Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Letterpress



I've been thrown for a loop; I don't know what I think. I love the feel and look of letterpress type, and spent some of my happiest hours creating lovely things on the Mills College letterpress. The reason I never owned my own press, as I've written here before, was the weight and cumbersome logistics that would have plagued moves into and out of less-than-spacious apartments up long, spindly stairs.

But now Paper Source has come out with a lightweight, easily portable option, apparently easy to maintain . . . and has thrown temptation again my way. But am I really tempted? Or have I moved on, beyond any desire to work with slow, old-fashioned, hands-on methods involving ink and paper? Since I began this blog, and went happily digital, and learned the wonders of Blurb/Booksmart for producing book pages the way I want them (mostly), have I gone utterly into the ether? If so, that's rather sad, and I should pull myself back.

image: Printing press at the Roycroft Community campus (displayed in the Copper Shop), Dave Pape

No comments:

Post a Comment