Friday, June 13, 2014

Two Thoughts about Roses



(From two favorite authors.)

“For millions of years flowers have been producing thorns. For millions of years sheep have been eating them all the same. And it's not serious, trying to understand why flowers go to such trouble to produce thorns that are good for nothing? It's not important, the war between the sheep and the flowers? It's no more serious and more important than the numbers that fat red gentleman is adding up? Suppose I happen to know a unique flower, one that exists nowhere in the world except on my planet, one that a little sheep can wipe out in a single bite one morning, just like that, without even realizing what he'd doing - that isn't important? If someone loves a flower of which just one example exists among all the millions and millions of stars, that's enough to make him happy when he looks at the stars. He tells himself 'My flower's up there somewhere...' But if the sheep eats the flower, then for him it's as if, suddenly, all the stars went out. And that isn't important?”
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince


“What a lovely thing a rose is!"

He walked past the couch to the open window and held up the drooping stalk of a moss-rose, looking down at the dainty blend of crimson and green. It was a new phase of his character to me, for I had never before seen him show any keen interest in natural objects.

"There is nothing in which deduction is so necessary as religion," said he, leaning with his back against the shutters. "It can be built up as an exact science by the reasoner. Our highest assurance of the goodness of Providence seems to me to rest in the flowers. All other things, our powers, our desires, our food, are all really necessary for our existence in the first instance. But this rose is an extra. Its smell and its color are an embellishment of life, not a condition of it. It is only goodness which gives extras, and so I say again that we have much to hope from the flowers.”

—Arthur Conan Doyle, The Naval Treaty




image:  Roses & Roses

2 comments:

  1. Roses are indeed beautiful, and I agree with Saint Exupery: "isn't that important?".
    As soon as I am back home, I will tend my flower bushes in the backyard; I love to notice how the colors of the petals lack in luster at the end of summer, just before they fall on the grass.
    Thank you for sharing the nice quotes. When I started reading the first one, I immediately knew it was Antoine de Saint-Exupery! So exquisitely naive!

    ReplyDelete